Create innovative applications that enable small business to grow
Improve small business customer service through innovation
Eastern Foundry and AWS are jointly organizing a hackathon focused on small business requirements. Public Spend Forum and FedTech are joining the effort. The goal of this Hackathon is to produce platforms/tools/products that a wider community can leverage for the benefit of Small Businesses.
AWS brings natural language processing, speech recognition, text-to-speech, and machine translation within the reach of every developer. Application services by AWS enable developers to plug-in pre-built AI functionality into your apps without having to worry about the machine learning models that power these services.
Put your skills to the test and apply language and vision intelligence to a new or existing application! Use language and speech APIs including Amazon Comprehend, Amazon Transcribe, Amazon Polly, Amazon Lex, and Amazon Translate to gain customer insights, and personalize customer service.
1. When natural disasters strike, small businesses get impacted significantly. SBA offers various programs to help in such situations, and with this Hackathon challenge it aims to significantly enhance the quality of call/help center through voice/text based automation. The goal is to provide a faster/quicker/easier and more accurate customer service. These use cases are squarely aimed at Disaster Response & Assistance part of SBA’s charter:
- Voice based (Alexa driven) automated customer service during Disaster Response
- Text based (Mobile App driven) automated customer service during Disaster Response
- Infuse GPS/Location data to provide for relevant answers
2. SBA coordinates SBIR/STTR grants to encourage domestic small businesses to engage in Federal Research/Research and Development (R/R&D). This challenge is to produce a tool to help entrepreneurs, VC, and the govt. agencies to gain insights on:
- Awardee companies’ probability of success based on various factors such as funding, technology, team size, and many more variables
- Whether SBIR will meet awardee’s funding goals and improve the chances for success
- Companies that use SBIR awards to create products (and economic value) vs companies whose business model is to win SBIRs
- Principal Investigators (PIs) background and probability of success pre/post-award
Data Sources: Available in the form of APIs, unstructured data as well as semi-structured data
How to enter
Chief Information Officer / Small Business Administration
Director, Tech Transfer and Commercialization, Department of Homeland Security
Director - Ventures & Innovation / Discovery Inc.
CEO / Opus8 Inc
Director / CVP (Customer Value Partners)
WWPS Venture Capital & Startup Lead / AWS
Quality of the Idea
(Includes creativity and originality of the idea)
Implementation of the Idea
(Includes how well AWS machine learning services were leveraged by the developer)
(Includes the extent to which the solution can be widely useful)